Now that we have created a distribution list, it’s time to use it.
- Go to the Mail area using the Navigation Pane or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + 1
- Press Ctrl + N to open a new blank email message
- In the To field begin typing the name of your distribution list, in our example, let's use the name Outlook Training
- If the name does not automatically prompt you with the list press Ctrl + K once you have entered the name and Outlook will perform a name check and see if it matches any contact or distribution list names
- You should now see the distribution list name appear with an underline and a + symbol.
- Outlook has now matched the list name with your new list
- If you wish to view all the members individually, click the + symbol to expand the group. You should only need to do this if you want to check that a certain person has been included or wish to delete an individual person from receiving this specific message. If you do not need to do this then you do not need to expand the group
- You will see a warning message that if you expand the list, the list name will be replaced with the individual members’ names and you will not be able to collapse it
- Click OK
- All the members will be individually listed
- Add a subject to your email message and text to the body of the email and click Send
- You have now sent an email using a distribution list
If you need to edit the members of the list at any time you can do so through the People area, open the distribution list and make changes and then select Save & Close.