EZYNODE STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE
Author: Danniel V.
As modified by: Tristan Josua Mari V. Francisco
Approved by: Ivan Jo
Title of the Procedure: Setting up MFA for VPN with iOS
Objective/Goal: To add an extra layer of security when accessing the VPN through the Multifactor Authentication
Description of Process: The app will be set up to generate an then create an SSL VPN profile on the router with authentication. After that the SSL VPN profile in the client needs to be created. Lastly, connecting and using a VPN with two-factor authentication.
PROCEDURE 1: Generating the secret using the app
1. Go to AppStore and install the app. Please see direct link below:
The image of the app should look like this.
2. Open the application and create a profile.
3. For the name of the profile use LA-VPN.
4. Pin Type: Select 4 Digit Pin
5. Secret Generation Method: Select Direct
6. Hit Done.
PROCEDURE 2: Connecting and Using a VPN with Two-Factor Authentication
1. Go back to your computer and open Smart VPN Client app. Click Profiles on the left side then, edit the existing profile.
2. Once you click Edit, make sure that the settings are like this:
3. Go back to Connection, set the active profile to the one we edited then, click connect.
4. Once you hit the Connect button, it will ask for a username and password.
Username: Your first name
To generate the password, follow these steps:
Go back to the app on your phone then, open the profile you created.
Enter 4321 on the pin, hit New OTP after. It will then display the six-hex digit (0-9 & a-f, all lower case) one-time password.
Note: The circle acts as a timer - once the timer completes, the one-time password will no longer be valid, and a new password will need to be generated with the correct PIN code.
5. Use the generated OTP as your password on the Smart VPN Client application. Click OK.
Note: This password will also be stored but will be invalid after the VPN tunnel has connected, so will be re-entered every time the VPN is connected.
6. The Smart VPN Client will start to connect, displaying connection status here:
7. Once the VPN successfully connects, the client will into the Windows System Tray and display a connection status notification in Windows:
8. Double-click the green system tray icon to display the Smart VPN Client. Alternatively, right-click the Smart VPN Client system tray icon for quick access to connect/disconnect & statistics options:
9. Expanding the Smart VPN will show the connection status, clicking the Disconnect button will drop the VPN tunnel: