As a business owner, I spend a significant amount of time responding to and sending email messages. Often I need to respond to the same question once or twice a week. Instead of going into my Sent Items to copy and paste the amazing response I sent a few days ago, I can set up responses to be reused over and over again. Not only will Quick Parts streamline your email processes but it also ensures consistent delivery of information.
Quick Parts allow me to insert reusable information into an email message without having to type it each time. No more copy and paste functions to reuse information. Quick Parts can be created based on simple information such as your contact details, or more complex information such as multiple paragraphs which include specific formatting, links to resources, and numbered or bulleted lists.
Create reusable text
Quick Parts will allow you to include formattings such as bold, italics, paragraph alignment, bullet or numbered lists, and even images as part of the Quick Part. For email messages, I tend not to include too many images however it will allow you to insert an image and save it as a Quick Part. Let’s create the first set of reusable information:
- Open Microsoft Outlook
- Open a new blank email message using Ctrl + N on the keyboard
- Place your cursor in the body area of the email message and type in the block of text you wish to save for future use
Tip: I use this feature for content which ranges from long sentences through to multiple paragraphs. Essentially any text you include on a regular basis, you can use with Quick Parts.
- Format the text in the way you will want it to be displayed including formats such as bold, italics or numbered lists
- Now highlight the text/paragraphs
- Click the Insert tab and select the Quick Parts button
- From the menu select Save Selection to Quick Part Gallery
- The Create New Building Block dialog box will appear:
- Change the name to something more descriptive so you can easily identify each block of information later in the list
- Click OK
- Close the original message you created the text in
Insert Quick Parts
Now that you have the reusable information saved, you can insert it as often as you need to.
- Create a new blank email message (Ctrl + N on the keyboard)
- Enter a recipient in the To field and add a Subject
- Click inside the main body section of the email message
- Select Insert > Quick Parts
- You will see your entry listed along with a preview
- Click on the entry to insert it into your blank email message
- Voila, the block of text is now inserted into your email
You can insert multiple Quick Parts into the one email message to build a complete message if needed. Quick Parts will also work when you reply or forward an email message. This is a nice easy way to reuse content within Microsoft Outlook. If you want to take this another step further, you can also create email templates in Outlook.