Sharing your desktop, screen, or content
To share your screen or content:
- Click Share Screen located in your meeting controls.
- Select one of these screen share options:
- Basic: Share your entire desktop, specific application windows, whiteboard, or iPhone/iPad screen.
Note: Users can select multiple desktop programs at once instead of sharing their entire desktop, but all selected programs must be on the same screen to be visible. Only the user employing this feature will need to be on version 5.4.3 or higher while viewers can be connected with older versions. Hold the Shift key on macOS or the Ctrl key on Windows to select more than one application.
- Slides / PowerPoint as Virtual Background: This allows you to utilize a slideshow presentation as your virtual background, providing a more immersive presentation.
- Portion of Screen: Share a portion of your screen represented by a green border. The border can be adjusted as needed during the share by clicking and dragging any side or corner.
- Computer Audio: Only share your computer's audio (your selected speaker in your audio settings). Select the down arrow to the right of Computer Audio option to view audio options and switch between Mono and Stereo (high fidelity) audio options.
- Video: Share locally stored video content video content through Zoom's native video player.
- Content from 2nd Camera: Share a secondary camera connected to your computer; for example, a document camera or the integrated camera on your laptop.
- Files: Share a file from a third-party sharing service like Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive. Follow the on-screen prompts to sign in to the third-party service and grant Zoom access.
- These options may be disabled by account Admins, so available options may vary.
- Alternatively, you can open the file in a web browser then share the browser window. For example, to share a Google Doc, open the Doc in Chrome, then share the Chrome window. The end result is the same as using the sharing options in the Files tab.
- (Optional) Enable these features, located in the bottom-left corner of the share window:
- Share sound: If you check this option, any sound played by your computer will be shared in the meeting. Select the down arrow just to the right of the Share Sound option to switch between Mono and Stereo (high fidelity) audio options.
- Optimize for video clip: Check this if you will be sharing a video clip in full screen mode. Do not check this otherwise, as it may cause the shared screen to be blurry.
- Share to breakout rooms: Allows the host or co-host to share their screen from the main session directly into all open breakout rooms.
- Click Share.
When the sharing process is started and 80% of devices acknowledge receiving the shared screen, you will see a notification banner stating Participants can now see your shared screen, or whatever you have chosen to share.
- Zoom will automatically switch to full screen to optimize the shared screen view. To exit full screen, click Exit Full Screen in the top-right corner or press the Esc key.
- To disable automatic full screen when viewing a shared screen, adjust the Window size when screen sharing behavior in your desktop client settings.
- If you selected Content from 2nd Camera, click Switch Camera in the top-left corner to switch the shared camera.
Controls when screen sharing
When you start sharing your screen, the meeting controls will move into a menu that you can drag around your screen.
Note: Some of the options detailed below may not be visible due to account admin restrictions or the feature is only visible to the meeting host or co-host.
- Mute/Unmute: Mute or unmute your microphone.
- Start/Stop Video: Start or stop your in-meeting video.
- Security: Access in-meeting security options.
- Participants: View or manage the participants (if you're the host).
- Click the down arrow to access Invite, where you can invite others to join the meeting.
- Polling: Allows you to create, edit, and launch your polls. The options to create or launch polls will open up the Zoom web portal in your default browser. When the poll closes, you can view the results and can download the full poll report. If a poll has already been created, both host and co-host can launch the poll, but only the host can edit or add polls to the meeting.
- New Share: Start a new screen share. You will be prompted to select which screen you want to share again.
- Pause Share: Pause your current shared screen.
- Annotate: Display annotation tools for drawing, adding text, and so on.
- More: Hover over More for additional options.
- Chat: Open the chat window.
- Record: Start recording locally or to the cloud.
- Meeting Info: Shows the current meeting's ID, host, passcode, invite link, your participant ID, and encryption status.
- Closed Caption / Live Transcript (only available to the host): If you have enabled closed captioning and live transcription for your account, click here to access those options.
- Breakout Rooms: Start breakout rooms.
- Enable annotation for others: Allow or prevent the participants from annotating on your shared screen.
- Show/Hide Names of Annotators: Show or hide the participants' name when they are annotating on a screen share. If set to show, the participant's name will briefly display beside their annotation.
- Hide / Show video panel
- Hide / Show Floating Meeting Control
- Share sound
- Optimise for video clip
Note: Do not enable this setting if you are not sharing a full screen video clip, as it will blur your screen share. This should be enabled/disabled before and after the video you wish to play.
- Live on Facebook: Broadcast your meeting live on Facebook.
- Live on Workplace by Facebook: Broadcast your meeting live on Workplace by Facebook.
- Live on Youtube: Broadcast your meeting live on Youtube.
- Live on Custom Live Streaming Service: Broadcast your meeting live on a custom streaming platform.
- End Meeting: Leave the meeting or end the meeting for all participants.