Bulleted and numbered lists can be used in your documents to outline, arrange, and emphasize text. Below you will learn how to modify existing bullets, insert new bulleted and numbered lists, select symbols as bullets and format multilevel lists.
To create a bulleted list:
1. Select the text you want to format as a list.
2. On the Home tab, click the drop-down arrow next to the Bullets command. A menu of bullet styles will show.
3. Move the mouse cursor over the various bullet styles. A preview of the bullet style will show. Choose the bullet style that you prefer.
4. The text will be formatted as a bulleted list.
To create a numbered list.
1. Select the text that you format as a list just like the first step above.
2. Click the drop-down arrow next to the Numbering command. A menu of numbering styles will appear. Choose the numbering style that you want to use.
3. The text will format as a numbered list.
Other options for working with lists:
- To remove numbers or bullets from a list, select the list and click the Bulleted or Numbered list command.
- Just press enter to start a new line, and the new line will automatically have a bullet or number. When you've reached the end of your list, press enter twice to return to normal formatting.
To restart a numbered list/Restart at 1:
Word has a Restart Numbering option(Mac) or Restart 1 (Windows) , just in case you want to restart the numbering of a list. It can be applied to numeric and aphabetical lists.
1. Click the item that you want to be in the first in the new list.
2. Right click the item, and then click Restart numbering